Thread: The poop that was the Macworld 08 Keynote

Default The poop that was the Macworld 08 Keynote

Well i just wrote a TON of shit here. But the forum apparently auto logged me out and I lost everything that i wrote because i forgot to copy the text like i usually do beforehand. Fuckin A!!!

well to sum up what i said without typing it all out again...

the keynote sucked mostly.

Thumbs up for:
    HD rentals
    new software for those iPhone & Apple TV users (but i'm not one of them so blah)

Thumbs Down:
    MacBook Air - (overpriced, underported (usb/firewire) and absolutely undesirable. Its thinner then a Fashion runway model. Big Fukin whoop de doo. Worthless. )

NO 10.5.2 release!! (need i say more)

Time Capsule -( So my Airport Extreme I bought not that long ago will NOT ever enable Time Machine to link to the USB connected Hard drive on it as was originally advertised by Apple/Leopard???? WTF!!!!! Thats makes me pissed.)

Still No blu-Ray ( I have TONS of photography files I need to back up and DVDs just don't cut it anymore. I'm lucky if one single photoshoot fits on a DVD. And thats just the RAW Masters. Doesn't include the PSD & final Jpeg Prints)

No iPod price drop. (4GB memory sticks from new egg for under 30 bucks but the 1GB shuffle is still 80 fucking dollars.)

No new Cinema Displays

What's everyone else think?
    Last edited by ScarCrow28; 01-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Default Re: The poop that was the Macworld 08 Keynote

Tanks for that tip... I usually try to remember to copy my text because of such issues. But i didn't do that this time. And i did try to go back. As if that would log me back in or something lol. grr.

I like the new video feature, and they are going to switch to total flash memory in the future. They are basically going to make the newer ipods (within the next year) say Summer of 09 ish be total screen like the touch screen one. Only more thin, more personalizable(is that a word?) and use wireless share features like the Zune introduced. They do need to drop the prices. They basically corner the effing market.

But, if companies make their drivers then Vista will be the big thing and Macs wont have that appeal anymore. It has the potential to be the greatest OS ever. The features are amazing. A built in SKYPE type of service, Flash Mem as Ram, and everything is going to be made more simple. It boots in under 10 seconds and even faster if you opt to use flash mem as Ram.

I digres though.

I am all for Mac pushing the envelope and dropping their prices which they obviously aren't. They are very innovative and would have a bigger share of the maarket if they just made the prices more friendly to someone like a parent looking to buy their child a computer for the first time.

The sad thing though is when I worked as a geek squad agent a few Christmases ago I literally had people walk up with their iPods and sit em on the counter and say "How do I make it work?".

I made a Hello my Name is Tag that said RTFM!!!
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**

Quote Originally Posted by xXRavenXx View Post
    I like the new video feature, and they are going to switch to total flash memory in the future. They are basically going to make the newer ipods (within the next year) say Summer of 09 ish be total screen like the touch screen one. Only more thin, more personalizable(is that a word?) and use wireless share features like the Zune introduced. They do need to drop the prices. They basically corner the effing market.

But, if companies make their drivers then Vista will be the big thing and Macs wont have that appeal anymore. It has the potential to be the greatest OS ever. The features are amazing. A built in SKYPE type of service, Flash Mem as Ram, and everything is going to be made more simple. It boots in under 10 seconds and even faster if you opt to use flash mem as Ram.

I digres though.

I am all for Mac pushing the envelope and dropping their prices which they obviously aren't. They are very innovative and would have a bigger share of the maarket if they just made the prices more friendly to someone like a parent looking to buy their child a computer for the first time.

The sad thing though is when I worked as a geek squad agent a few Christmases ago I literally had people walk up with their iPods and sit em on the counter and say "How do I make it work?".

I made a Hello my Name is Tag that said RTFM!!!

Pushing the technology is great and I'm all for it. but not at the expense of function. You can just as easily put out an option for SSDs in any existing system. I'm not sure why the thinness of the laptop is such an asset. I never once said to myself "Shit i wish my Macbook Pro was smaller & lighter and it didn't have all these usb & Firewire ports"

I'm sure there is a corporate/ rich kids market for this thing but for not for production houses who do any kind of graphics/photo/video work. And it certainly won't play games very well due to the lack of any graphics acceleration so that leaves out that market. Are home users willing to pay a premium on a laptop slightly lighter then a macbook? maybe the elite income-ers and teenagers (Who always want the newest and coolest thing")

But then again I wouldn't pay the $$ for an iPhone and that has taken off. However the difference is the iPhone is a more drastic change from the marketplace it entered. The MacBook air is paying a lot more for a lot less.

I don't know how people can afford that just to have the newest coolest thing. Don't people have bills to pay in this country???? Am i the only one who is trying to avoid Debt as much as possible?

I can justify the purchase of my MacBook pro because its a necessary tool for what work i do. So while i don't want to fork out 2k for a laptop, it was necessary to get my work done. I don't see how the Air qualifies for that kind of decision making.

Now if they went for the "MacTablet" format with iTouch screen technology & MacBook Pro preformace. now that would make me impressed. And graphics / photo people would love it (Wacom tablets)

But I want to end this in a positive note, so I will admit that I can't wait to try out some HD movie rentals When they allow us to BUY HD movies on itunes I would also be very interested and may even skip out on the whole Blu-Ray player thing till its too cheap not to in a few years from now. Heck i watch all my DVDs on my computer anyway and its an HDTV resolution so hell yea! Bring em!

EDIT: apparently I missed the small print details where the HD Rental downloads are only downloadable via the Apple TV. On top of that they are only 720p. Well so much for that idea...... Now eveything that was announced today is useless to me. And i was so looking forward to today....
    Last edited by ScarCrow28; 01-15-2008 at 09:31 PM.