Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Default Prometheus

OK, I'm starting a new thread about this movie, because the old one was mainly about a possible 2 Alien prequel movies which turned out not to be true.
    Here is the only article about Prometheus that Hardkore posted in the old thread. So nothing is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
    http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scot...-noomi-rapace/

Big news on the Alien prequel front: it seems as if there is no longer an Alien prequel. What started out as a film expanding the backstory of Ridley Scott‘s 1979 sci-fi-thriller-monster movie masterpiece has become something else.

Today 20th Century Fox has officially announced Prometheus, which will star Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, and open on March 9, 2012. What’s going on here? More after the break.

Deadline reports that the film once meant to be an Alien prequel has become something “more original,” and that the Jon Spaihts draft that kicked things off has been reworked by Damon Lindelof and Ridley Scott into Prometheus. In addition to the part being played by Noomi Rapace (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) there is another big female role in the film, which is being circled by Charlize Theron and Angelina Jolie. Three major male roles have to be cast, too.

Here’s what Ridley scott has to say about the film:

While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn’t be more pleased to have found the singular tale I’d been searching for, and finally return to this genre that’s so close to my heart.

My first reaction: this is awesome. I love Alien to death, and was cautiously warming up to the idea of a prequel. But I would so much rather see an original film from Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof. And when Fox is the studio that gets so much flak for aiming squarely at the lowest common denominator, seeing them give a writer and director the reins like this is beautiful. An original, big sci-fi film rather than another sequel/prequel/remake? Well done, Fox.

Damon Lindelof seems to agree:

In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley’s vision was for this movie. It’s daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects.
    If someone wants to check the old thread, here it is:
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?5762-Ridley-Scott’s-Directing-ALIEN-prequel&highlight=prometheus

Default Re: Prometheus

Now some more recent news about this great project.

Here is the latest synopsis:

Ridley Scott, director of “Alien” and “Blade Runner,” returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
    Source: http://screenrant.com/prometheus-movie-plot-synopsis-sandy-133544/

Also in a recent interview with MTV writer Damon Lindelof Shared this:

“[Fassbender] plays a robot. One of the things that evokes the idea of Blade Runner is, ‘What does the movie look like from the robot’s point of view?’ If you were to ask him, ‘What do you think about all of this? What’s going on? What do you think about these humans who are around you?,’ wouldn’t it be cool if we found a way for that robot to answer those questions. When you cast a guy like Fassbender, who’s going to bring a lot more to it than [makes clichéd robot movements] — that was me doing the robot, I don’t know if you could tell.”

“[Theron's] character’s name is Meredith Vickers and she’s sort of a corporate entity. That’s another one of the familiar things from the Alien movies — that there are corporate interests in play. I feel like Charlize brought a new spin on that old variation. It’s a remix …. I don’t think she’s slimy [like Paul Reiser's character in Aliens]. She’s not the fast-talking, snake-oil face of the company. By the way, “What company is she a face of?,” I think is a big part of the fun. As we were developing the script, she had some really cool ideas that made it not the suit you’re used to.”

“I think one of the really cool things about the first Alien, if you watch it cold, Ripley is kind in the background like one of the crew members, and you’re like, ‘Skerrit’s [who played Captain Dallas] the hero of the movie,’ and he’s one of the first to go. And then you’re like, ‘It’s [the engineer played by] Harry Dean Stanton.’ And, no, he’s gone… and suddenly Sigourney Weaver, in the last 40 minutes of the movie, is the only one left alive. I think the idea of building a really cool ensemble and again presenting the audience with like, ‘Who’s going to be left standing at the end of this movie? Maybe all of them. Probably not,’ [that's] part of the fun of what we set out to do.”
    Source: http://collider.com/damon-lindelof-p...s-plot/117642/

Here are some interesting facts revealed in 2010 which might slightly change in the final product:

• The film will be set in 2085, 30 years before Alien.
    • It will be about the Space Jockey creature that we saw in Alien.
    • The Weyland company will be in it and the movie will feature things about terraforming planets.
    • He is also planning on re-designing new creatures – earlier versions of what led to the Facehugger.
    • Ridley Scott revealed that you’ll find out who the Space Jockey is and where he came from. He also hinted that the Space Jockey isn’t a creature itself, it’s a suit with a being inside.
    • There may be two androids in the movie. One being Fassbender’s character David.
    • The movie was shot in 3D with very little CGI.
    • It was revealed in September 2010 that Ridley Scott wanted an 18-certificate movie (Hard R Rating) and a $250M budget but Fox refused. In another report a few weeks later, Damon Lindelof had apparently finished the rewrites on Spaihts’ script cutting large set pieces out and making the script PG13 friendly. In that report, it was stated that Ridley wanted a $150M budget. In July 2011 at Comic-Con, Ridley Scott revealed that the movie is being shot as PG13. This is not final. 20th Century Fox will look at the movie and then decide what it will be. Most likely, we’ll get an Uncut Blu-Ray release.

Also there was a footage shown at Comic-Con in July 2011. Here’s io9′s description of the footage: (although there are no big spoilers there, be warned)

And then the actual footage from the film starts, and its a huge flood of creeptastic imagery that recalls Alien but also a bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey. There are guys in pressure suits exploring an ancient chamber with weird hieroglyphs, and a guy in a spacesuit walking through a sliding door into a clean white chamber. And a guy (who might be Michael Fassbender) pulling a weird jelly-looking thing out of a canister. And as Ridley Scott’s voiceover notes that things that may look small in the film will turn out to be important, there is a shot of a drop of blood on a finger. There is Charlize Theron on a table with bandages wrapped around her breasts, as though she’s waking from hypersleep.

And then the footage gets faster and more furious, with a guy in a visor looking down at something, a woman in a suit walking into a red entryway, and a globe, and then Scott says, “The cast find an establishment which is not what they expected it to be, it’s a civilization but what we find in it is very uncivilized behavior.” And then there is insane carnage and people with goop inside their space helmets and someone shooting a flamethrower, and mayhem breaking loose in confined spaces. Meanwhile, Scott’s voiceover is saying that there will be biomechanoids and the film will “break new ground.” We see a giant pale planet with rings around it. And then we see Charlize Theron doing pushups naked.
    The movie will be released on June 8, 2012. Just in 9 months. I guess soon we can expect a teaser trailer.

And here is the only official image so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Most likely, we’ll get an Uncut Blu-Ray release.
    I'm gonna bet that the initial release will do so-so while rentals do really good. Then about 6 months later the Uncut version comes out and sells like wildfire.

I would be one of those waiting the extra 6 months.

Authentic teaser trailer description leaked on the web. No spoilers ahead:

“Had to join to to comment on this. I am the Chris that saw the trailer. I run a theatre in the Denver area and my theatre has Nielson kiosks in the lobby for surveys of upcoming titles. They told me that they had few different trailer for various movies, but when they said PROMETHEUS, I said I must see the trailer. It was nearly 2 minutes long and looked fairly polished and complete. It was using a temp track for music and the trailer was VERY similar to the original teaser for ALIEN the way is was cut together. Quick shot after another. Had a couple a lines of dialog I think but is was hard to hear since my lobby was a bit noisy. The planet they showed in the trailer looked nothing like original one where the derelict was crashed. It was sunny and desert like in appearance. The space suits the characters were wearing were VERY similar to the original suits worn by the crew of the Nostromo. The interior shots of their ship looked clean and not used like the the NOSTROMO did. It was all new and shiny looking. I did not see an exterior shot of the derelict ship but there were some really quick shots of the inside like the jockey, another room that looked like were the jockey was but without it, the room with the eggs but there were no eggs in it. There were some quick shots of the crew walking in the same “halls” that Kane and Dallas walked in as well in the derelict ship. But these things were hitting the screen so fast, it was hard to process all the information. Some of the crew look were in medical/cryo-tubes with something moving in their abdomens not their chests. Their eyes also appeared to be completely black and the faces altered I think. The end of the trailer ended with the title forming much like the ALIEN title did in the original movie at the top of the screen. However, there were no mentions of the original movie at all. No Giger aliens, no eggs, nothing at all to pin this being a prequel. It just “looks” like it was from that universe.”

I love the way they manage to keep everything under huge wraps. I hope it stays this way in the next few months.

Ridley Scott talks Prometheus:

The central metaphor of “Prometheus” is about a “higher being” who challenges the gods, and the gods don’t want to give him fire. “Fire is our first form of technology,” Scott says, and so by taking fire, the higher being is punished “in perpetuity in a horrible fashion.” Much like the story of the mythological god, Prometheus, who stole fire from Zeus and for his actions was bound to a rock with an eagle eternally devouring his liver.
    The last eight minutes of the “Prometheus” story evolve into “a pretty good DNA of the ‘Alien’ one.”
    We confirmed with 20th Century Fox that Sigourney Weaver, star of the first four “Alien” films, doesn’t make a cameo in “Prometheus.”
    Regarding the use of 3-D and CGI, Scott says he has “completely taken off into this cyberworld” and called working on”Prometheus” “the best time I’ve had in a number of years making a movie.”
    Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/11/07/ridley-scott-spills-the-secrets-of-prometheus/?mod=google_news_blog

P.S. Can't wait for the teaser.

Banned

hhhungh! I can't wait to see this movie! "Alien" is by far one of the best movies series ever!

OMG the best trailer ever!!! Thank you Ridley for this. This is a great addition to the Alien franchise. Although the quality is very poor you can see the Space Jockey chair and the "derelict" ship, even something bursting from someone. Can't wait for the high quality. Also they use the spooky sound from the first Alien trailer. And again the popular Inception/DOTM like sound.

I think this will be the sci-fi horror movie I've been waiting for the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    OMG the best trailer ever!!! Thank you Ridley for this. This is a great addition to the Alien franchise. Although the quality is very poor you can see the Space Jockey chair and the "derelict" ship, even something bursting from someone. Can't wait for the high quality. Also they use the spooky sound from the first Alien trailer. And again the popular Inception/DOTM like sound.

I think this will be the sci-fi horror movie I've been waiting for the last decade.
    WTFF!!!?? That's sick, and it's barely decent quality. We really need that in HD, this could be the one horror movie I've been waiting for years! Like the siren sounds, and I hated the copied sirens after DOTM. Awesome!
    Does the date says 6-8-12? That's June 8 or August 6? Gah, too much pression!! Wonder who's gonna make the score, 'cause, wow!

If I'm like this after seeing a bootleg, can't imagine when I see it HD.

It's June 8. Only in 6 months.

Banned

Youtube vid no longer available, did a quick search on Youtube and found another one.

AWESOME!

I'm gonna wait till the HD one is released.

Fuck youtube. Here it is at Worst Previews:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=23455&count=0

The title appears the same way as in Alien. This movie is going to kick ass.

I love that they don't give anything away. At the same time you can feel Giger's touch in this. Great!

Marc Streitenfield on score? Seriously!? This is either the greatest waste on film music, or one of the biggest opportunities this guy will have to demonstrate he really has what it takes, and not copying Jablonsky like in Robin Hood.

Oh, and nice poster

Can't wait!

1 day left!

High(er) quality:

Wow everything in the trailer made the film have a classic look to it. I can't way to see this!
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

2012 is going to be an EPIC movie year...

Ridley Scott became famous with his two sic-fi movies Alien (1979) and Blade Runner (1982). Two of his first three feature films. Now (almost 30 years later) he is back to the genre that he defined - sci-fi horror. This is history, don't miss it.