Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have You Seen Lately? (Part 3)

Default Re: What Movies Have You Seen Lately? (Part 3)

Blood Diamond - Awesome movie. DiCaprio's accent is a bit sketchy to me but overall, a good and emotional story.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Fright Night (2011) on Blu-Ray: Excellent revamp (heh heh) of the 1985 classic horror film.
    Fright Night (1985) on Blu-Ray: Looks decent in high def and you can get this Blu-Ray online, the first R-rated film i saw in theaters when i was little.
    Heavy Metal on Blu-Ray: Loved this film since i was 12 when i saw it on TBS 18 years ago and has been one of my fave animated films since, looks great and sounds great in high definition and Taarna is still one hot animated babe just like Jessica Rabbit.
    WarHorse: Another Spielberg triumph, you got to see this and TinTin.

Warrior.

Banned

Apollo 18

Contagion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic
    Apollo 18

Contagion
    How was Apollo 18?

I was excited for Contagion, and ended up being extremely disappointed with it.

I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy at the movies after it had got 5 stars from every TV channel and news paper in the country.
    I haven't read the book or seen the TV series with Alec Guinness from 1979, so I didn't know what to expect from the movie.
    So how was it? Booooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!! It's apparently an intellectual movie, cause absolutely nothing happens in it! There's a mole hunt in the British secret service and all they do is talk, talk, talk and talk some more. The most exciting scene in the whole movie is when a guy has to steal some files from a safe. But be assured. It will win like 15 Oscars at the Academy Awards this year!!! head:head:head

Heart: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"54"

Poster.jpg

Enjoyed it...a lot. Myers was pretty good.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    How was Apollo 18?

I was excited for Contagion, and ended up being extremely disappointed with it.
    Apollo 18 is like Paranormal Activity in space... with Aliens. Not bad 3/5

I felt the same was about Contagion, it started off well but got too political towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    Apollo 18 is like Paranormal Activity in space... with Aliens. Not bad 3/5

I felt the same was about Contagion, it started off well but got too political towards the end.
    Actually i think A18 is more like Cannibal Holocaust (The one that started it all and influenced the lost footage horror genre) or REC in space, it was decent.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011):
    Inferior to the Swedish version but a nice americanized adaptation of the novel, David Fincher manages to wow again.

Batman: Sub-Zero: another great Batman animated film that takes away the bad taste of Schumacher's films at the time and manages to be one of Batman's best films.

Drive - I liked it. The first half of the movie was great, then something changed and I didn't feel it. Maybe I had too high expectations.

Sherlock Holmes 2 - even better than the first one. The editing and music was awesome. It's really hard to edit those slow-mo shots and to make them look believable.

Michael Fassbender - omfg... where was this guy hiding so faaaaaar????? I know its not a movie but I just like really discovered him. I mena I knew he was great but after running through his imdb list I cant believe he is so "fresh". He is the perfect mixture of Daniel Day-Lewis and Colin Firth and Ralph Fiennes all rolled up in one. Just WOW.

-----

Jane Eyre - I was really looking forward tot his movie. There are some stories, books, plays which need to be redone time to time for several reasons but are sometimes just way to overused (e.g. Romeo and Juliette). I love Bronte, her novels are not the happy pink romance books they are the dark, scary, and very gloomy english romance books. So I was wondering if cinematic wise the perfect adaptation by Zefirelli was already made from this story why there is a need for the 21st time to re-make it. How can it be more? And I am glad to say the movie is just wonderfull! Its very visual, and it managed to catch visually the thing why people say "nah a movie will never be as good as a book" Witht he right use of visuals this thing managed to get across so well England, the feel of englishness, the coldness, the longing, the being trapped between words, the change. Everythign what is so well captured in that novel. It doesnt outdo Zefirelli cause nobody outdoes him. Its jsut different. The one is to much "continental" to Italian, warm and soft in a way. The new one is cold and bitter and english.

Friends with kids - Confusing. I mean the whole idea was great. The best question about fmaily and love I have heard in my lifetime "Why is it normal that you are so desperatly searchign for the right person u want to live your life with and than when ur baby arrives this new person u dont even know, who is a stranger, you will love more than anybody else?" - totally makes no sense The movie still somehow turned out flat.Jennifer Westfeldt was so irritating with her baby talkish voice and face through out the whole movie I wanted to slap her after 5 minutes. And she was so ORANGE. Srsly get another make up artist next time. Eww. Oh and this movie contains the funniest mistakes i have seen in ages. Before the last scene total drama confession, romance blah blah blah and you realise that while our main actor is in the middle of his big love confession monologue he is actually reading his lines from behind her co-actress. Coommmmmoooooooooon. Srsly? Ok once I got over that in the next scene actress actor talking to eachother, in every set-up when we see the actor form behind but we are really focused on the female face I jsut started to notice that the guys head and chin (what we see a little) is not moving although we hear him replying. *FACEPALM*
    Ah and Megan ... dunno I was really hoping for her, but she just couldnt really move her mouth. It was scary. She might ahve gotten a bit more natural with her speaking. But the fake mouth on her face was scary.

Friends with benefits - okey, this one was nice, funny, easy, entertaining. Mila Kunis is mindblowingly beautiful and I am always surprised by the fackt that I can take Justin Timbarlake more seriously as an actor than a pop-star. And the sex scenes are very funny

Contagion - hmmm I really wasnt expecting much cause everybody was somewhy really disappointed in this movie. Whhhy? Dunno. I really liked this movie. Totally met my expectations. And really scared me. I mean this is not an action movie, its not that tipical disaster thing like Virus and Dante's Peak... nothing like 'pure-gloomy-scientist-divorced/wife-killed-with-kids-only-hope-for-menkind-gets-in-and-saves-the-day-from-a-disaster'. Its a movie about the theory of how a modern day virus could work, how it would break out and how it would effect our world. And for that I think it surved its purpose and goals perfect.

"Michael Bay is made out of rainbow powder"

The Burbs for the millionth time. Ridiculously underrated movie.
    "It came with the frame."

Ip Man 1 and 2 - Awesome Kung Fu action films! So badass!

Thumbs up Re: What Movies Have You Seen Lately? (Part 3)

Rise of The Planet of the Apes

Rise of the planet of the apes. Not bad.

Conan remake. I like the arnold classic better but this was okay.

Taken, Awesome.

Clash of the Titans remake. again awesome.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Cars 2.

Yeah, I know. Disney most likely wanted this movie to be made to milk the franchise even more, and yeah, I'm aware of the bad reviews. I get it.

Oh that note, I freakin' loved it. I thought it was really well paced and extremely hilarious. It was not meant to be an emotional life changing masterpiece like Toy Story, it was just good clean fun. My guess is that the reviewers had much higher expectations from Pixar after Toy Story 3.

Tin Tin

MI:4
    "When you make something no one hates, no one loves it." - Tibor Kalman

Dead Alive (aka Braindead:
    The uncut version i bought from one of my city's Comic Cons, one of my fave horror films ever and seeing it in it's true full uncut version with some scenes missing from the US unrated cut of Dead Alive, Peter Jackson before he did Lord of the Rings.

Cars 2 on Blu-Ray: Good but disappointing follow-up to a good Pixar film, but TinTin is the best animated movie of last year and so is Kung Fu Panda 2.

Robot Carnival
    : Bought this on DVD from a convention and one of my fave animated films ever, a unique Japanese animated anthology from Akira creator Katsuhiro Otomo with brilliant animation in each segment from different directors and i loved it since i was 12 when i saw it on TBS in the early 90s

Final Destination 5.

I thought the movie itself was better than 3 and 4, but 1 and 2 still top it. Made great use of 3D, and the ending alone is worth the purchase price.

Heart: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Love that movie.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

IP Man 2: Solid follow-up to a masterful martial arts flick.
    Meet The Feebles: One of Peter Jackson's earliest films before LOTR, this 1989 dark comedy with puppets is like South Park meets Jim Henson and Crank Yankers, it's tasteless as hell and gory but funny stuff too.
    Beauty and the Beast 3D: ​another successful 3D re-issue of an animated classic, it seems re-issues are being more successful since Lion king's 3D re-issue.

Contraband - Not good imo. Was really dull....the trailer pretty much showed everything. Not much else to it.

Air America

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon
    IP Man 2: Solid follow-up to a masterful martial arts flick.
    Meet The Feebles: One of Peter Jackson's earliest films before LOTR, this 1989 dark comedy with puppets is like South Park meets Jim Henson and Crank Yankers, it's tasteless as hell and gory but funny stuff too.
    Beauty and the Beast 3D: ​another successful 3D re-issue of an animated classic, it seems re-issues are being more successful since Lion king's 3D re-issue.
    Beauty and the Beast 3D is reference material, IMO. One of the best 3D Blu Ray releases ever.

Godzilla 1985 uncut Japanese version: I bought this at a convention that has both American and Japanese uncut versions, i remember seeing this at the movies when it came out in the US when i was 4 and it was my first Godzilla film, lots of fun.

Underworld Awakening: Nothing great but a fun installment of the vampire/werewolf saga.