PDA

View Full Version : what other movie stands a chance against TF ROTF??

darthrage
02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
we shouldn't really care about box office dollars because we ain't investors or studio execs

But I'm also tired of people who tell us that whenever a thread like this is posted, that we have no reason to care because we're not studio execs. However as movie fans, we're just as interested and concerned about box office take as industry people. We wanna root for our team.

Ultimately, its all about the movie though and we're there to support it.

With that being said, I wonder what other movie really stands a chance again Transformers ROTF this year in 2009, not just the summer.

First of all I think that ROTF will be in the high $300 like $385 or $390. If it performs like Dead Man's Chest it can do $400

The only thing I can think of is

Harry Potter - but they haven't been doing that consistent lately
Avatar - many people have been waiting but can James Cameron break new ground with this? Most have forgotten.

I still doubt a Harry Potter sequel can do better than the first one at $317

I'm really mixed on how well GI Joe could possibly do.
We're talking about the guy who did Van Helsing after all. I couldn't even get through the first 15 minute of that movie before I shut the DVD off. But the Mummy movies Stephen Sommers directed held really well at the box office but nothing close to the $300 range. Fanbase however might jump their numbers. Its really unpredictable.

littleman794
02-14-2009, 01:55 PM
we shouldn't really care about box office dollars because we ain't investors or studio execs

But I'm also tired of people who tell us that whenever a thread like this is posted, that we have no reason to care because we're not studio execs. However as movie fans, we're just as interested and concerned about box office take as industry people. We wanna root for our team.

Ultimately, its all about the movie though and we're there to support it.

With that being said, I wonder what other movie really stands a chance again Transformers ROTF this year in 2009, not just the summer.

First of all I think that ROTF will be in the high $300 like $385 or $390. If it performs like Dead Man's Chest it can do $400

The only thing I can think of is

Harry Potter - but they haven't been doing that consistent lately
Avatar - many people have been waiting but can James Cameron break new ground with this? Most have forgotten.

I still doubt a Harry Potter sequel can do better than the first one at $317

I'm really mixed on how well GI Joe could possibly do.
We're talking about the guy who did Van Helsing after all. I couldn't even get through the first 15 minute of that movie before I shut the DVD off. But the Mummy movies Stephen Sommers directed held really well at the box office but nothing close to the $300 range. Fanbase however might jump their numbers. Its really unpredictable.

okay, harry potter sucks and would never ever ever EVER beat TF2

but if they get to finishing Artemis Fowl, that could be awesome...but TF2 would still be better:D

sieg
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
haha how about that live action dragon ball z movie (just kidding) transformers is going to kick every ones asses...

Sillypuddy
02-14-2009, 02:39 PM
ok.....I left a lot of movies off of my prediction list. Now that I have re-educated myself on what is being released, lets list 'em out one more time!! Heh....(there may be some changes from my earlier post)

1)ROTF $330-$350 million. $400 if it is better than the 1st!
2)Harry Potter $275-$300 built in audience gets it to $250 million
3)UP $250 million Pixar scores wth another!!
4)Monsters vs Aliens $225-$250 million 3D Cartoon = $$$$
5)Wolverine $215 million
6)Terminator: Salvation $210 million
7)Star Trek $205 million
8)ICE AGE: Dawn of the Dinos $200 Million
9)Angels & Deamons $195-$200 Hanks still has Summer Street Cred...
10)Night at The Museum 2 $185 million YAWN!!!!
11)GI JOE: Rise of Cobra $180 million
12)Fast and Furious $175 million
13)Watchmen $165 million (if it is lucky and good)
14)Land of the Lost $145 million
15)Avatar $135 Million

bossimus
02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
How about Watchmen? Its been hyped up ALOT and has a pretty big following from what i've seen...

littleman794
02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
How about Watchmen? Its been hyped up ALOT and has a pretty big following from what i've seen...

itll be good, but it won't top rotf:D:D:D:D

Sillypuddy
02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
[quote=littleman794;62033]okay, harry potter sucks and would never ever ever EVERbeat TF2

Potter does not suck.....quite the opposite to be honest. For the most part, the movies have been good representations of the book series. #6 should be the series equivalent to Empire Strikes Back, but they are leaving out parts due to similarities to the final book which will be two movies and all kinds of kick ass if they can stay as close to the book as possible. Transformers and Potter are so different from each other that they will actually help each other at the box office.

littleman794
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
[quote=littleman794;62033]okay, harry potter sucks and would never ever ever EVERbeat TF2

Potter does not suck.....quite the opposite to be honest. For the most part, the movies have been good representations of the book series. #6 should be the series equivalent to Empire Strikes Back, but they are leaving out parts due to similarities to the final book which will be two movies and all kinds of kick ass if they can stay as close to the book as possible. Transformers and Potter are so different from each other that they will actually help each other at the box office.

hmmm....maybe....but i still don't like harry potter...he is waaaay over rated:deadhorse1:

Sillypuddy
02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
oh yeah....I forgot about Watchmen.... $150-175 mil-- it is an R rated movie with no stars in it..... it has to be really good to get huge #s....I am talking "300" good, not "Sin City" good. I really hope it is good, but I am being a little skeptical on it still...

Simon
02-14-2009, 02:54 PM
okay, harry potter sucks and would never ever ever EVERbeat TF2

but if they get to finishing Artemis Fowl, that could be awesome...but TF2 would still be better:D

Wait what? That book was one of the worst I read in a while. (Harry Potter is a masterpiece in comparison)
For the question. Which movie?
Probably none, except for Avatar as you already said. Though I don't get the hype behind Cameron at all. But he's way more popular than Bay so we'll see ;)

King of Kings
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Right now the Watchmen is the film I'm most excited about but that's mostly due to the fact it's coming out sooner than ROTF.

littleman794
02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Wait what? That book was one of the worst I read in a while. (Harry Potter is a masterpiece in comparison)
For the question. Which movie?
Probably none, except for Avatar as you already said. Though I don't get the hype behind Cameron at all. But he's way more popular than Bay so we'll see ;)

Artemis Fowl is the BEST SERIES ON EARTH!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Steve
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
I think all other movies that come out DON'T stand a chance to make more money.

WATCHMEN will be good, but i think and hope more people want to see TRANSFORMERS 2. And hopefully not only in America, but world wide.

I really hope there is more action and explosions in TRANSFORMERS 2.

Michael Bay is known for big action scenes and lots of big explosions. Yes, i'm a real MB-fan!

Michael, if you read this: YOU are the best action director!

Wreckage
02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I think Avatar has a chance of making as much as or more than ROTF given its revolutionary 3D movie style along with a message that is more in line with the Obama times we are living in.

Avatar seems like an anti-Bush and anti-Transformers film in some ways. Transformers 1 glorified the military and the military industrial complex. ROTF will most likely be no different portraying the U.S. military and its larger M.I.C. component as an entity that does nothing but good for the world. (Never mind the fact that thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians, and several thousand U.S. soldiers, are dead due to the U.S. military invasion of Iraq. But that's another discussion.) From what I have read about Avatar, the hero of the movie is a dissillusioned crippled war veteren. The enemies of the movie, who try to rape and destroy an alien world, are military soldiers from Earth. Many have argued that the first Transformers movie was a propagandized recruitment commercial for the U.S. military that tries to justify the U.S. occupation of Iraq and other nations by showing U.S. soldiers helping to defend the natives of Qatar against a threat. And that threat, the Decepticons, was simply a substitute for Middle Eastern terrorists. Avatar shows just the opposite: military intervention in other lands, or other planets, as having nothing but detrimental effects on native peoples and ecosystems. Instead of some extraterrestrial or some group from another nation being a threat, WE are the threat. WE are the Space Monsters!

Some people might see TF2 as an extension of the Bush era they are sick of if it contains the same ingredients as TF1 such as the jingoism, xenophobia, racism, and sexism. They might gravitate more towards Avatar's Obama-era messages of personal and national responsibility, tolerance, and respect for other nations and cultures. This could boost the movie's profits further.

StefsChemicalRomance
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I reckon Watchmen is going to suprise a lot of people withits success.

Sure it got no big stars, the budget is probably around $100mil - But you've gotta' think of the fans.

Sure, its not going to top ROTF - But I reckon its going to be up there.

highdefw
02-16-2009, 02:46 AM
what other movie stands a chance against tf rotf??

tf3

littleman794
02-16-2009, 10:24 AM
tf3

lets hope so!!...if it is better, im not sure ANY movie will be able to top that!

Steve
02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
If Transformers 3 will be even better than ROTF then ILM and DD must pull out all there reigsters.

Explosions every 10 minutes and having a good story and good acting.

If only Transformers 2 should have a better box office than The Dark Knight, then this should be very surprisingly.

littleman794
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
If Transformers 3 will be even better than ROTF then ILM and DD must pull out all there reigsters.

Explosions every 10 minutes and having a good story and good acting.

If only Transformers 2 should have a better box office than The Dark Knight, then this should be very surprisingly.

If ROTF waste's the dark night, as it will, it will obviously rock its socks off!!

Sillypuddy
02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
ROTF has no chance of doing Dark Knight numbers...as much as it would be cool to see ROTF achieve this it doesn't have the emotional pull that Dark Knight gave to the masses (i.e. Heath Ledger's death). $400 million would be a monster achievement for ROTF.

littleman794
02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
ROTF has no chance of doing Dark Knight numbers...as much as it would be cool to see ROTF achieve this it doesn't have the emotional pull that Dark Knight gave to the masses (i.e. Heath Ledger's death). $400 million would be a monster achievement for ROTF.

you just watch!!! TF2 will cause pwnage!!

Sillypuddy
02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
hrmmmm....ok, let's break this down a bit....

Batman vs Transformers. What has more appeal with general public? Batman hands down.

What has a better chance for having a better story?? Batman hands down.

What has a chance for better characterization? Batman hands down.

Special Effects??? Transformers hands down.

Even with Batman winning most of this little comparison, I would still want to see a Transformer movie more than Batman, but regardless of the bias I have towards it, I won't hesistate to realize that Dark Knight was more than a grand slam....it surpassed being "comic movie" and moved into being the mother of all crime stories.....

Transformers has no chance of doing this...and I am good with that. I want just as good or better effects and visuals than the first along with a better script that puts more character into the robots....if i get that the battle is won. That can get this movie to the $400 million mark. But it has to be a masterpiece at both ends to get to $500 million+ and it just won't have the pull.....and again, I am ok with that.

littleman794
02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
hrmmmm....ok, let's break this down a bit....

Batman vs Transformers. What has more appeal with general public? Batman hands down.

What has a better chance for having a better story?? Batman hands down.

What has a chance for better characterization? Batman hands down.

Special Effects??? Transformers hands down.

Even with Batman winning most of this little comparison, I would still want to see a Transformer movie more than Batman, but regardless of the bias I have towards it, I won't hesistate to realize that Dark Knight was more than a grand slam....it surpassed being "comic movie" and moved into being the mother of all crime stories.....

Transformers has no chance of doing this...and I am good with that. I want just as good or better effects and visuals than the first along with a better script that puts more character into the robots....if i get that the battle is won. That can get this movie to the $400 million mark. But it has to be a masterpiece at both ends to get to $500 million+ and it just won't have the pull.....and again, I am ok with that.

okay...but TF has a chance

phoenixgirl
02-16-2009, 04:43 PM
I liked Batman, but I still think transformers is going to kick his caped but back to its comic days.
As for the other movies coming out, they don't stand a chance. I don't care what the people at the oscars say next year.
TF:ROTF will rule 2009.

Sillypuddy
02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
ok.....i will say it has a chance....

as for the oscars, we got screwed last year....The Golden Compass...REALLY????

littleman794
02-16-2009, 05:12 PM
ok.....i will say it has a chance....

as for the oscars, we got screwed last year....The Golden Compass...REALLY????

wow...that sucks....it was a pretty crappy movie too...:mad:

Steve
02-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Hopefully TF2 will win this time the award for best CGI.

What else can win? No Watchmen? Breaking glass in slow motion isn't that hard to do i think. Also a blue man can't be that difficult. All those special effects look like they can fit in a episode for Smallville.

But robots transforming in cars that's more hard to pull of. Every piece of the robot must go somewhere to form a car.

yan008
02-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Watchmen looks epic as Transformers Revenge of the fallen.
But Terminator might not :wtf

Faceh
02-17-2009, 08:49 AM
I gather you are talking about overall us box office take during tf2 summer run?

MovinForward
02-17-2009, 09:16 AM
What about GI Joe? I don't care much about it but still...

littleman794
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
What about GI Joe? I don't care much about it but still...

ya same here...ice age 3 anyone???

jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjjjjjjjkkkkk

StefsChemicalRomance
02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Hopefully TF2 will win this time the award for best CGI.

What else can win? No Watchmen? Breaking glass in slow motion isn't that hard to do i think. Also a blue man can't be that difficult. All those special effects look like they can fit in a episode for Smallville.

But robots transforming in cars that's more hard to pull of. Every piece of the robot must go somewhere to form a car.

Now we all know TF2 will deserve best CGI - But no need to bash Watchmen. Zack ain't making the film to solely win an award. LOL.

It looks just as epic as TF2.

Sillypuddy
02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I have no doubt Watchmen will be visually exciting.....but I will stick to my guns....R-rated, no stars....it has to be "300" good to do well at the box office, otherwise it just tips the scales at 100-110 mil.....yawn.....

StefsChemicalRomance
02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Have you read the book? Or know the history behind the story?

You wouldn't make that movie and have Brad Pitt or Arnold in it.

And you definiatly wouldn't make it PG.

Zack's doing it right.

Xsubs
03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I think Terminator salvation will be much better than TF2.
ACtion wise, TF2 would be better, but Character, suspense, and story wise... Terminator salvation!