PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the HV30?

Westbound
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
If you do, is the 24p a hassle in post-production? I've heard some bad things about that.

Nobody's replied in the hv30 forums :( thought while i'm hear i misewell stick it in:o

Jarek Zabczynski
02-06-2009, 05:06 AM
HDV is a dead format. AVCHD is the future of consumer HD. Wait till next month. Panny and Canon release their new lines.

Westbound
02-06-2009, 05:59 AM
allright dude, i'll give some research. Don't want to buy last season's colours;)

Eman
02-09-2009, 11:43 PM
HMM HDV might be dead for consumers but prosumer I doubt it matters. I recently upgraded to a HD prosumer unit, a canon xh a1. HDV is just a proprietary name for canon's HD stuff its still 3ccd and 1080p. The canon xl a1 with the Technik Mini35 adapter looks F***ING amazing.

Jarek Zabczynski
02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
There are some great HDV cameras out there don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that HDV doesn't have much of a future. Not too many people support it. I've had a number of people in the pasting calling me and asking if I had a HDV deck or camera they could use cause they got a random HDV tape from someone and they have no idea how to edit it.

HDV was a stopgap to fill the void between DV and a proper consumer HD format. HDV records to mpeg2, a distribution codec not meant for acquisition. Since it uses a long-gop recording scheme, if you get a dropped frame, you automatically lose 15 frames. Most of all, it record to tape, a dying medium on its own.

HDV had a few good years and some great gear. However there is no reason anyone should be thinking about getting a HDV camera TODAY. A year ago would be reasonable, but there are other options available and more around the corner. AVCHD, AVCAM, AVC-Intra, XDCam...all better than HDV and the new standards in digital acquisition.