PDA

View Full Version : What is Color Timing??

Chemical Superfreak
09-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I hear this term alot, especially in regards to the DP's job. Explain please?? Thanks!

elemental fantasy
09-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Hey Chems... color timing is this.....

Basically, when you shoot a movie, regardless of format, (via super 35mm - 65mm - home digital video), there is a thing called Kalvin, which is the difference in how light is intercepted into your lens, ( how hot the light burns, the difference in her color temp.) regardless of it's formate.

So, let's say you shoot, outdoors with 56 Kelvin/or 56K (natural light).... It will have a different look then say something you shoot with an indoor light setting which burns at, I believe, 32K... 56 is hotter and burns orange, while 32 burns blue...

Givin you make sure when filming digital it is set to the correct color temperatures, or if you shoot film, it depends solely upon your film stock....

But when you color time/doctrine/color correct, .... in it's most simplistic nature,
sometimes, not every shot you use from outdoor to indoor or even just take to take in the same setting has the same color do to Kalvin degree, and different exposure levels, you need to match it, as well, you may have a shot that's a lil over exposed, or a lil under exposed (brighter/darker) that needs to match up with the next shot, correcting the other shots you want to have match the shot that has the look your going for in the one shot, as well as maybe giving the overall look in the final edit a saturated look or whatever, is color grading....

I hope that helps a little.....

P.S. Overall, color timing is basically matching every single shots exposure and contrast so you can have consestancy in every shot that matches and blends into the next shot, as when you shoot, nobody can get 100% even exposure during production.

It's the correction from shot to shot of it's exposure, and it's overall color look and grading, I.E. exposure eveness!

nelson
09-21-2008, 10:29 AM
kElvin

Chemical Superfreak
09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
WOW....thanks ElFantasy.....that was......thorough, very educational. I remember you explained what a DP's job was beautiful also, just wish i could remember the other question i was going to ask. But THANKS! That was very very informative!