PDA

View Full Version : What is Camera Blocking??

darthrage
09-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi there,

I was listening to the Transformers Commentary and Michael Bay mentioned that the Jungle Gym Optimus Prime scene, the scene was difficult to do "camera blocking".

What did he mean by that?

Thanks for the explanation! :)

nelson
09-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi there,

I was listening to the Transformers Commentary and Michael Bay mentioned that the Jungle Gym Optimus Prime scene, the scene was difficult to do "camera blocking".

What did he mean by that?

Thanks for the explanation! :)

I think he meant framing the shot. Remember, he has to shoot without anything there. It's pretty tough imagine where these robots will be in the frames as the camera is moving. Take for instance the scene with OP fighting with Bonecrusher under the highway bridge: that is awesome camera work.

Jarek Zabczynski
09-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Blocking means assigning movement. In acting when you "block" it basically means telling your actors where to move and when. Same applies to cameras. It's where the camera should be at any particular moment in a shot. Moving the camera from A to B to C... during a shot or take. Hope that helps.

darthrage
09-27-2008, 05:07 AM
oh ok I get it

So when he mentioned that it was difficult to block the Jungle Gym Optimus scene, he meant that it was difficult for camera placement because of the pillars in the way and also its hard to visualize exactly where Optimus would be because of the geography of the shot.

Thanks!!!