PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Gotham Knight review

Devastator
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
First off this is anime/manga and as I've sated countless times I don't like all too much. However, this did not defier me one bit because after all, it is Batman and I am a huge fan of animation. When you see this it contains minor character spoilers to TDK. A major spoiler could be said about the Batmobile which is only seen twice but its probably the best design yet. Its so cool looking. When the first story comes on it throws you for a loop because there are kids telling you stories and its very imaginative to say the least. I won't spoil it. Just keep watching. There is no Joker, btw.

The direction is typical anime but its the best I've seen. The fights are staged great and the mood is wonderful. What hurts it is the anime style with the still frame long pauses which turn into a slide show, just a mouth moving and nothing else, and close up on eyes for too long. Blah...

The stories are great. Each one hardly ties to the next and what does link them is very subtle. You have to pay attention closely and remember each one as you go into the next. They will make you think about why Batman, nolan's bat's, is the way he is. The ones where Batman just makes an appearance are rather boring but I blame the directors, not the writers.

As for the animation its actually very fluid when the anime influence isn't heavy. Very clear as well. Batman in flames is awesome. The last story is probably the best animated and it actually looks like the suit used in TDK.

If you're a Batman fan its a must. If you're a huge mega Nolan Batman fan its a must to bridge the two movies. If you really enjoy Nolan's Batman, into animation, and just overall like the character - wait for it to become discounted. The anime/manga animation style really downs this outing for Batman. Half disappointment, half liked it. You probably won't need to see it to enjoy TDK better. A 3 out of 5.

Want a real Batman animated movie? Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106364/)

King of Kings
07-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I'll be buying it when it comes out a week on Monday this side of the pond.

Tobi
07-09-2008, 06:42 PM
First off this is anime/manga and as I've sated countless times I don't like all too much. However, this did not defier me one bit because after all, it is Batman and I am a huge fan of animation. When you see this it contains minor character spoilers to TDK. A major spoiler could be said about the Batmobile which is only seen twice but its probably the best design yet. Its so cool looking. When the first story comes on it throws you for a loop because there are kids telling you stories and its very imaginative to say the least. I won't spoil it. Just keep watching. There is no Joker, btw.

The direction is typical anime but its the best I've seen. The fights are staged great and the mood is wonderful. What hurts it is the anime style with the still frame long pauses which turn into a slide show, just a mouth moving and nothing else, and close up on eyes for too long. Blah...

The stories are great. Each one hardly ties to the next and what does link them is very subtle. You have to pay attention closely and remember each one as you go into the next. They will make you think about why Batman, nolan's bat's, is the way he is. The ones where Batman just makes an appearance are rather boring but I blame the directors, not the writers.

As for the animation its actually very fluid when the anime influence isn't heavy. Very clear as well. Batman in flames is awesome. The last story is probably the best animated and it actually looks like the suit used in TDK.

If you're a Batman fan its a must. If you're a huge mega Nolan Batman fan its a must to bridge the two movies. If you really enjoy Nolan's Batman, into animation, and just overall like the character - wait for it to become discounted. The anime/manga animation style really downs this outing for Batman. Half disappointment, half liked it. You probably won't need to see it to enjoy TDK better. A 3 out of 5.

Want a real Batman animated movie? Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106364/)

So, yeah, I just saw it, and completely disagree, the stories were good, and the animation was top notch.

In the same vein as the Animatrix each animation house and director bring in their different styles to the Batman universe as they did with The Matrix, and in my opinion it hasn't looked better. Not liking anime is one thing, putting it down because IT IS anime is another, there is nothing to put down here, I have seen my fair share of bad anime, and there is nothing bad about "Batman: Gotham Knight".

Just like with the Animatrix, one of the Madhouse episodes was my favorite "Deadshot" is a new benchmark for them, even though it still not on the same caliber as Kawajiri's best when it comes to action, it easly raises the bar in a technical level. I haven't seen a Madhouse production look this sharp, so I'm definelty looking forward to their next big-budget feature (Ninja Scroll 2, I'm looking at you!).

I got the Blu-Ray release, and even thought I'm quite happy with it, I had hoped for the video to look sharper than it did, also, a lossless track is missing, all we get is a good ol' Dolby Digital 5.1 mix, which is only decent, no reason not to incluse a next-gen track really or a PCM one.