PDA

View Full Version : Peter Berg and shaky cam (again)

darthrage
06-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I really enjoyed the Rundown. Peter Berg really didn't put the frenetic action cam style in it but then when he came out with The Kingdom, it was something that you either like or you hate. Although I enjoyed the movie, the shaky-cam (especially during drama scenes) really annoyed the hell out of me.

I understand why he does it because he wants to put us in the point of view of a character in the movie but its just over-used. The guy is standing still talking, there's no need to do it. Shaky cam is action is fine, its more appropriate, just like in The Bourne series, although I would wish they tone it down.

Ok now that Hancock is coming out, I've been reading reviews, the reviewers mention the same thing, we're going to be seeing lots of shaky cam once again and it is not even a war movie with lots of chaos going on. I like Peter Berg, he made a very serious action film with The Kingdom but I just hope that he feels that his visual style doesn't stay consistent with his all his movies. I don't mind if he uses it during action scenes but stay away from it during drama scenes.

halofan1
06-28-2008, 12:09 AM
In The Bourne series they use it in the dialogue scenes, but they're more subtle about it.

Berg is a good director don't get me wrong but he really does overuse this. Shaky cam CAN be effective, but not when every since shot has it in there.

Interestingly enough, a review for Hancock says Berg 'worships at the altar of Michael Bay' in terms of action.

darthrage
06-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Interestingly enough, a review for Hancock says Berg 'worships at the altar of Michael Bay' in terms of action.

Thats strange because Michael Bay only uses it when its necessary and when its most appropriate.

I agree that in the Bourne series, it was used not as much which was good but Peter Berg (and I still like his films) just over uses it. It doesn't make me nauseous like some other people but it does get a annoying at times.

Maxwell Burnett
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Peter Berg loves organic filmmaking. In another way, he takes after Michael Mann. Since they are good friend (He co-produced The Kingdom and Hancock), he has taken a different direction. The camera movement is simular to Michael Mann's films since The Insider, where he started the handheld phase.

Did anyone happen to catch the Michael Mann cameo in Hancock?

MjM878
07-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I like Peter Berg and Paul Greengrasses style. It is different, I enjoyed Hancock very much because of the "shakey cam" effect.

Mobe1969
09-09-2008, 05:12 AM
I really enjoyed the Rundown. Peter Berg really didn't put the frenetic action cam style in it but then when he came out with The Kingdom, it was something that you either like or you hate. Although I enjoyed the movie, the shaky-cam (especially during drama scenes) really annoyed the hell out of me.

I understand why he does it because he wants to put us in the point of view of a character in the movie but its just over-used. The guy is standing still talking, there's no need to do it. Shaky cam is action is fine, its more appropriate, just like in The Bourne series, although I would wish they tone it down.

Ok now that Hancock is coming out, I've been reading reviews, the reviewers mention the same thing, we're going to be seeing lots of shaky cam once again and it is not even a war movie with lots of chaos going on. I like Peter Berg, he made a very serious action film with The Kingdom but I just hope that he feels that his visual style doesn't stay consistent with his all his movies. I don't mind if he uses it during action scenes but stay away from it during drama scenes.

I'm so sick of shaky cam. It is so abused. Very Bad Things is my all time fav black comedy. I love it. The Rundown was good fun. The Kingdom was a good story, but seriously the shaky cam was just utter crap. Utter crap. I'd personally slap him for it if I had the chance. I mean it wasn't even "realistic" type shaky cam like in the start of Saving Private Ryan (eg, camera man on the move). Even static two shots were utterly shaky. It was more like the camera operator was constantly beating himself off. The close ups were nauseating. At the cinema you were basically trying to watch the speakers face jump around 50 feet of screen. My wife left the cinema as it wa making her ill, and it gave me a headache the likes I've never encountered before.

uraydo
09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I had no problem with The Kingdom.