PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated films

LadiesMan217
06-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't like the word overrated anyway. It sorta indicates that it's a film everyone loved except me who don't think it deserves all it's acclaim, which is not for anyone to say really because to each his own. Let's just say acclaimed, popular films that you thought was kinda "meh" :p

Chicago - I don't hate musicals but this was just flat. Oscar for Best Picture? Robbery.

The English Patient - I've just seen this one and maybe I wasn't ready for it, but it was boring as hell. I rarely use the term boring, but this movie was a pain in the ass to get through. How it won all those Oscars is beyond me. Nice cinematography though.

GoldenEye - I've met many guys who consider this to be the very best Bond-film. Yeah, right. It's not even close - it's one of the worst.

Harry Potter movies - Just doesn't do it for me. At all.

Munich - Need to see it again. I excepted a masterpiece. It was just good.

Philadelphia - I expected way more from this. I love the ending with a Neil Young-scene playing over a very emotional sequence regarding Hanks' character, but you just don't the feeling we get to know the guy throughout the picture. It's too much of a courtroom drama. Disappointing, and I'm a huge Tom Hanks-fan.

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy - Just didn't care for it that much. First movie was alright. Hell, all of them (well, not 3 really although it had it's moments) are alright really but they're not that great. Maybe I'm not just cared much for pirates although I would welcome a very dark, serious R-rated pirate movie someday. It's a bit strange they based a whole franchise around a leading hero (I use the term loosely) that's basically a big doofus.

SpiderMan Trilogy - Pretty good. That's it. When the second one came everyone was like "It's the best comic book movie ever" which I can't agree with. It's too light. Even Sam Raimi thinks these are kids films. That's probably why the stuff when Spidey went "evil" in 3 was a trainwreck of major proportion. First two are pretty good, the third one is pretty bad actually and not only for those scenes just mentioned. It's basically a remake of Spidey 2. If 4 comes someday, get rid of all the main players except Maguire and set the film in some other fucking town.

War of the Worlds - Expected a great, powerful sci-fi adventure. It was just pretty good. Only saw it once though. They clearly didn't want to go the Roland Emmerich-route with the film but it could still be more of those spectacular sequences as when the burning trains shoots through the station, the ferry tipping over etc. Add to that it had an anti-climax for an end and Tom Cruise was surprisingly flat in the leading role (he's usually a very good actor).

Chemical Superfreak
06-15-2008, 10:33 PM
The Boondock Saints

i'm sure i'll think of more.

Spider-Man 3 is basically a remake of 2?? Please explain.

Devastator
06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Transformers
The Rock
:o

CJP
06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Lord of The Rings Trilogy.

Trailbreaker
06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
What's the deal with High School Musical? Seriously! 0_o

Beej
06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Most overrated...and hyped? (again, for moi at least)

No Country for Old Men
Shakespeare In Love
American Beauty
Annie Hall

Chemical Superfreak
06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Agreed, No Country was a lil to overhyped, and it's WTF? ending killed any love i could muster for the film. Maybe i just didn't "get" the ending, but screw it, the Coens were always overhyped to me, SERIOUSLY overhyped, though i did like Raising Arizona, Fargo, Big Lebowski, i repeat, i liked them, i loved none of them. Not anything i'd wanna own

Lithium
06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't like the word overrated anyway. It sorta indicates that it's a film everyone loved except me who don't think it deserves all it's acclaim, which is not for anyone to say really because to each his own. Let's just say acclaimed, popular films that you thought was kinda "meh" :p

Chicago - I don't hate musicals but this was just flat. Oscar for Best Picture? Robbery.

The English Patient - I've just seen this one and maybe I wasn't ready for it, but it was boring as hell. I rarely use the term boring, but this movie was a pain in the ass to get through. How it won all those Oscars is beyond me. Nice cinematography though.

GoldenEye - I've met many guys who consider this to be the very best Bond-film. Yeah, right. It's not even close - it's one of the worst.

Harry Potter movies - Just doesn't do it for me. At all.

Munich - Need to see it again. I excepted a masterpiece. It was just good.

Philadelphia - I expected way more from this. I love the ending with a Neil Young-scene playing over a very emotional sequence regarding Hanks' character, but you just don't the feeling we get to know the guy throughout the picture. It's too much of a courtroom drama. Disappointing, and I'm a huge Tom Hanks-fan.

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy - Just didn't care for it that much. First movie was alright. Hell, all of them (well, not 3 really although it had it's moments) are alright really but they're not that great. Maybe I'm not just cared much for pirates although I would welcome a very dark, serious R-rated pirate movie someday. It's a bit strange they based a whole franchise around a leading hero (I use the term loosely) that's basically a big doofus.

SpiderMan Trilogy - Pretty good. That's it. When the second one came everyone was like "It's the best comic book movie ever" which I can't agree with. It's too light. Even Sam Raimi thinks these are kids films. That's probably why the stuff when Spidey went "evil" in 3 was a trainwreck of major proportion. First two are pretty good, the third one is pretty bad actually and not only for those scenes just mentioned. It's basically a remake of Spidey 2. If 4 comes someday, get rid of all the main players except Maguire and set the film in some other fucking town.

War of the Worlds - Expected a great, powerful sci-fi adventure. It was just pretty good. Only saw it once though. They clearly didn't want to go the Roland Emmerich-route with the film but it could still be more of those spectacular sequences as when the burning trains shoots through the station, the ferry tipping over etc. Add to that it had an anti-climax for an end and Tom Cruise was surprisingly flat in the leading role (he's usually a very good actor).I agree with you on most of that. But as for the Harry Potter movies, you really need to read the books first then watch the movies. I find it would be much more enjoyable that way. :)

LadiesMan217
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Spider-Man 3 is basically a remake of 2?? Please explain.

It's the same fucking movie... almost. Same New York-setting, same love problems with Kirsten Dunst, Peter saves someone hanging from a building again and misses her performance and whatnot, and whenever he's down he goes to that fucking aunt who sais something fucking inspiring so fucking Peter can solve his shit out, and he's worried that James Franco and Kirsten will start dating, and he's Green Goblin yada-yada.

If there's ever Spider-Man 4 which I guess there will be..... MOVE ON.

Bumblebee1983
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
It's the same fucking movie... almost. Same New York-setting, same love problems with Kirsten Dunst, Peter saves someone hanging from a building again and misses her performance and whatnot, and whenever he's down he goes to that fucking aunt who sais something fucking inspiring so fucking Peter can solve his shit out, and he's worried that James Franco and Kirsten will start dating, and he's Green Goblin yada-yada.

If there's ever Spider-Man 4 which I guess there will be..... MOVE ON.

That, my friend, sums it up very nicely. :lol