PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN

armageddon
08-31-2007, 11:52 PM
HALLOWEEN (2007)----------**1/2 out of ****

Not a bad re-imagining of one of the creepiest, scariest films ever made, but not a spectacular one, either. Certainly worth the price of admission for any hardcore fan of the original thirsting for more background into the young Michael Myers, but other than that, I think it can wait for cable or DVD. I liked the third act best of all, featuring a highly suspenseful cat-and-mouse game between Michael Myers and Laurie Strode in his abandoned childhood home. The whole sequence was very well done by director Rob Zombie. Composer Tyler Bates added nice, industrial touches to John Carpenter's original score throughout the film, too. Nothing, however, can recapture the terrifyingly vacuous nature of Michael's mask ( -- revealed after the original's success by director John Carpenter to be a facial cast of William Shatner, ha ha -- ) like when you first saw it in the '70's or '80's (or the '90's if you're young), or the haunting chill of John Carpenter's original score whenever you first heard it. They're really the elements that most make HALLOWEEN what it is, and they're simply too familar after all these years to create a sense of terror on film now. Once upon a time, however...

devonnewberry
09-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I hate horror films but I'm somewhat interested in this one. Probably Netflix it when it's available.

LadiesMan217
09-03-2007, 07:05 AM
It was pretty terrible. And devonnewberry, if you hate horror films then this one is NOT going to change your mind. It's just a dumb, generic slasher flick.

I saw the working print online last night (I'm not paying to see a remake that looks awful on the big screen) and I don't really know what to think of it. Maybe I'm starting to get soft because I was thinking over and over again "Must everybody swear all the time" and I just got so tired of seeing cute girls covered in blood, being killed while crying and screaming for their life, especially here when it's not done in a campy Friday The 13th-style. The film overall was fairly ugly and mean-spirited where that alcoholic redneck father called redneck Michael a queer and both his wife and - if I understood right - redneck stepdaughter bitches. There isn't a single likeable character in this film and why Laurie, who was a shy, nice girl in the original is now someone who makes sex-jokes in front of her mom and dad I'll never know, but I guess Zombie finds stuff like that hilarious.

Laurie is nowhere near as likeable as Jamie Lee Curtis was btw, and the thing with Michael Myers is that they tried to give him more personality and humanize him therefore ruining everything. Does Rob Zombie want us to feel sorry for him? It sure seemed like it to me. Even then it was a failure because Myers just seemed to be a annoying, disgusting little kid and that also made his scary presence from the original being all lost when he goes on the the rampage in Haddonfield halfway through the movie. Zombie also tries to give him a motive! And guess what the motive is? You guessed it, crappy childhood; he's getting bullied in school and has a mean, alcoholic stepdad. What a cliché. His relationship with Loomis (Malcolm McDowell) was unconvincing and awkward, and while Donald Pleasence's version was more afraid of Michael fully convinced he was evil personified McDowell almost seems to like and care for him.

But I would be lying if I said it was boring. I enjoyed the first half more because it was Rob Zombie making this his own material, while the last half was just a sorta half-assed version of Carpenter's fantastic original movie. I was against this remake from day 1, and I was fully convinced it would suck, so I'm not disappointed. Another uneccesary remake. No more and no less.

And this annoying, redneck child (that looks like a fourth member of the popgroup Hanson trying to look mean) is Michael fuckin' Myers?

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8181/h32lv9.jpg

No, I don't think so http://www.jbfans.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Oh, and the kills? Nothing we haven't seen before.

r-type
09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
It's no Carpenter movie (nor do I feel it tried to be), but dammit if it isn't better than Season of the Witch.

xXRavenXx
09-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Here's my two cents. Zombie is known for being more keen on getting a film done (after the large amount of money he spent on House) using as realistic grounding of his characters as possible. i.e. Devil's Rejects vs House... two totally different styles. While Devil's was more realistic and yet had over the top character this made people not like the film as much as the horror"tip O' the Hat" that was House.

I can go on about how he likes that the 70's didn't have cell phones and it made things more of a challenge to reach out for help, he also wants youto be able to sympathize with the characters. Call is a character study on the disturbed... That's why I like Devils better than House, and FOR WHAT IT WAS... like this Halloween better. (If only for the character study).

But nothing will hold a candle to the dream that was the original; I think in a world where people turn to more of a way to look at why people do what they do it's time for a psychological look at Myers'. Bravo to Rob!