PDA

View Full Version : A whole new side of Robert Downey Jr....

Bumblebee1983
03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay, so he's starring in the upcoming Iron Man film.

But....did you know he's also working on a movie with Ben Stiller and Jack Black (who's gone BLONDE?!? wtf?) and....he's gone all method acting and is playing a black man.

The movie is called Tropic Thunder and here's the Daily Mail's Web page on it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=528496&in_page_id=1773

Here's the teaser Web site:

http://www.tropicthunder.com/site.php

Now, do you think this is racist? Apparently, those accusations are up and coming. :rolleyes:

r-type
03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
i knew. he's playing a method actor who is playing a black man.(semantics, i know) depends on the final product and whether he's actually making fun of black people or poking fun at method actors. even then he's only making a fool of himself if it tanks. he looks like gene simmons with a tan, actually. :p

*edit* don't get me wrong, i can definately see the bad heat this could generate. But, 1)the pic has already been taken out of context, and 2)I seriously doubt Downey signed on to satirize black people the way Eddie Murphy did to Asians ala' Norbit.

Sidenote: They get guys to play hispanics all the time. I dont find it offensive.

No, I don't think Tropic Thunder is racist. The teaser images on the site look funny. $#!t Blows Up. :)

Bumblebee1983
03-07-2008, 10:54 PM
i knew. he's playing a method actor who is playing a black man.(semantics, i know) depends on the final product and whether he's actually making fun of black people or poking fun at method actors. even then he's only making a fool of himself if it tanks. he looks like gene simmons with a tan, actually. :p

*edit* don't get me wrong, i can definately see the bad heat this could generate. But, 1)the pic has already been taken out of context, and 2)I seriously doubt Downey signed on to satirize black people the way Eddie Murphy did to Asians ala' Norbit.

Sidenote: They get guys to play hispanics all the time. I dont find it offensive.

No, I don't think Tropic Thunder is racist. The teaser images on the site look funny. $#!t Blows Up. :)

I saw that same thing posted in a livejournal community of mine. Hmm.....

But yeah, I agree wiff ya.

r-type
03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
What the gene simmons thing? Yeah, I saw that on some other website and agree with it. haha.

Bumblebee1983
03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
What the gene simmons thing? Yeah, I saw that on some other website and agree with it. haha.

Uhhh......noooo....didn't intend for it to be like that.

:o

It's sleeting now! Hopefully the power will stay on....cuz it's COLD!!!

r-type
03-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Uhhh......noooo....didn't intend for it to be like that.

:o

It's sleeting now! Hopefully the power will stay on....cuz it's COLD!!! :confused:

Have you seen the teaser site? It looks like its gonna be pretty funny.

uraydo
03-08-2008, 01:10 AM
statisticly speaking, Ben Stiller is bound to be in a good movie.... eventually.

r-type
03-08-2008, 02:42 AM
statisticly speaking, Ben Stiller is bound to be in a good movie.... eventually.I'll take this as Urry speak for "I'm looking forward to this".

Cool, me too.

uraydo
03-08-2008, 02:59 AM
I'll take this as Urry speak for "I'm looking forward to this".

Cool, me too.
wow, I have gotten bitter. but, yeah, I'm interested.

xAgonyxScenex
03-08-2008, 04:55 AM
this is a movie I have literally been following for at least 2 or more years now. It took forever for it to start shooting from when they announced the project. I love the idea of the movie. I hope the action gets pretty epic.

The Great
03-08-2008, 08:12 AM
I don't think it's a problem as long as the "black" character he is playing isn't coated in every imaginable stereotype known to man. Like you said Eddie has been doing it for years.

The make up is extremely well done. i'll be routing for the guy to pull it off.

guitarded
03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow, I saw this in the paper last night. I couldn't believe that was Downey.
This will be interesting to see. I imagine there will be some stereotypes in it though. But if they're smart, they won't go overboard with it

Bumblebee1983
03-08-2008, 01:33 PM
:confused:

Have you seen the teaser site? It looks like its gonna be pretty funny.

Not yet. :o

I'll go do that now though.

Meh, not much of a teaser, but it looks good. Of course I'm game for anything with Jack Black in it. LOL

Bumblebee1983
03-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Okay, the Daily Mail is not real clear on this story, but thanks to this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly (which has INDY on the cover WOOOTTT!!!) there's no race issue here.

"Robert Downey Jr. plays Kirk Lazarus, a very serious Oscar-winning actor cast in the most expensive Vietnam War film ever. Problem is, Lazarus' character, Sgt. Osiris, was originally written as black. So Lazarus decides to dye his skin and play Osiris authentically."

So, basically, that's saying that Downey Jr.'s character is a white man who goes to extreme lengths to play the character as written. There's no racism here!!!

It's sort of like Viola's character in Shakespeare in Love dressing up as a man to get the role in Shakespeare's plays.

Get it? See, the Daily Mail's Web site wasn't real clear on that!

And now people are crying racism over it!

GAH! I'm flabbergasted.

r-type
03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Okay, the Daily Mail is not real clear on this story, but thanks to this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly (which has INDY on the cover WOOOTTT!!!) there's no race issue here.

"Robert Downey Jr. plays Kirk Lazarus, a very serious Oscar-winning actor cast in the most expensive Vietnam War film ever. Problem is, Lazarus' character, Sgt. Osiris, was originally written as black. So Lazarus decides to dye his skin and play Osiris authentically."

So, basically, that's saying that Downey Jr.'s character is a white man who goes to extreme lengths to play the character as written. There's no racism here!!!

It's sort of like Viola's character in Shakespeare in Love dressing up as a man to get the role in Shakespeare's plays.

Get it? See, the Daily Mail's Web site wasn't real clear on that!

And now people are crying racism over it!

GAH! I'm flabbergasted.
an actor playing an actor playing a black man...... I could quote myself again if that would help. :)

Bumblebee1983
03-08-2008, 06:38 PM
an actor playing an actor playing a black man...... I could quote myself again if that would help. :)

Don't quote yourself again. :p

I'm just amazed at how some people aren't seeing this.

r-type
03-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm just amazed at how some people aren't seeing this.I guess it's just people seeing what they wanna see and then running with it, as usual.

guitarded
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Wasn't this done before?? or am I just remembering a synopsis I read a while back.....me not know

The Great
03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Don't quote yourself again. :p

I'm just amazed at how some people aren't seeing this.
even if it is in the confines of this movie it can still be racist. If the actor that downy jr. is playing accentuates the negative stereotypes of the character then that would be racist. Also if while he is researching the "role" he ends up
playing up being "black" that would be racist. It all depends on how they go about the whole thing. For instance, if they have a scene where he is getting the make up applied and downey's character tells the make up artist to make the nose wider cause it's not "black" enough that would be racist.

There are numerous land mines they could set off with this.

No should be saying it's racist however until they see the movie in my opinion. if done right it can be great.

Bumblebee1983
03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Wasn't this done before?? or am I just remembering a synopsis I read a while back.....me not know

Hardy har har....:rolleyes:

:p

I think you hear an echo.

uraydo
03-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Ooooohhhh, Racism. I'm sooooo ooofeeeennndddedd. :rolleyes:

xAgonyxScenex
03-09-2008, 12:15 AM
even if it is in the confines of this movie it can still be racist. If the actor that downy jr. is playing accentuates the negative stereotypes of the character then that would be racist. Also if while he is researching the "role" he ends up
playing up being "black" that would be racist. It all depends on how they go about the whole thing. For instance, if they have a scene where he is getting the make up applied and downey's character tells the make up artist to make the nose wider cause it's not "black" enough that would be racist.

There are numerous land mines they could set off with this.

No should be saying it's racist however until they see the movie in my opinion. if done right it can be great.

apparently in the movie, he gets actual surgery to be black.

The Great
03-09-2008, 01:06 PM
apparently in the movie, he gets actual surgery to be black.
lol if i sdidnt have a hang over that would be lmfao

guitarded
03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
lol if i sdidnt have a hang over that would be lmfao

This happened in real life a long time ago. I'm not sure if it was during apartheid, but there was a white man who underwent surgery to become black. I believe he was a journalist who wanted to discover how he would be treated as a black man............

....and then there's Michael Jackson who underwent surgery to become a white man :(

r-type
03-09-2008, 02:11 PM
....and then there's Michael Jackson who underwent surgery to become a white man :(I believe the correct term you are looking for is, white woman.

guitarded
03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I stand corrected :D

Bumblebee1983
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
I believe the correct term you are looking for is, white woman.

*falls out of chair, LMAO*

xAgonyxScenex
03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I believe the correct term you are looking for is, white woman.

ZING!!!!

Beej
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Now, do you think this is racist? Apparently, those accusations are up and coming. :rolleyes:

No more than Marlon and Shawn Wayans' "White Chicks"...

Downey playing a white actor portraying a man of color is the cheek of it. If itty bitty minds are going to be enraged, they're going to be so no matter what. But I don't think the majority of people will see it as such. But I've been wrong before...was wrong about Elliot Spitzer. I'll be wrong again, and again, and it never surprises, only disappoints.

Bumblebee1983
03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
No more than Marlon and Shawn Wayans' "White Chicks"...

Downey playing a white actor portraying a man of color is the cheek of it. If itty bitty minds are going to be enraged, they're going to be so no matter what. But I don't think the majority of people will see it as such. But I've been wrong before...was wrong about Elliot Spitzer. I'll be wrong again, and again, and it never surprises, only disappoints.

Interesting logic there beej....;)

raddimus
03-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I was actually gonna mention white chicks. But I thought the teaser looked hilarious,I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a serious movie or not.the background sounded all serious but just seeing ben and the rest go by in the slideshow and how they looked like they were trying to look all tuff,made fall out of my chair laughing.:D And nolte he should be great in this just cuz the guy is always making me laugh in real life.

r-type
03-18-2008, 01:50 PM
The full trailer. Looks funny :D

Link (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809912814/video/7004235)

Bumblebee1983
03-18-2008, 01:55 PM

I'll have to view that when I get home....:(

xAgonyxScenex
03-19-2008, 12:39 AM

i'm so excited for this movie....I have a feeling after this and Iron Man...RDJ's popularity is going to see a giant spike.

TheMovieWhore
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Robert Downey Jr playing a guy undergoing a procedure to make him black is about as racist as Eddie Murphy painting himself up to look like an old crusty white guy in Coming to America. It is in the context of what they doing. There is no intent to be racist with what they are doing for the movie.

Was Peter Sellers being racist?

Downey said it best himself when he said "If we do this right it will be brilliant...If we don't do it right we are going to hell."

r-type
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Link (http://www.cinematical.com/photos/tropic-thunder/743471/)(for the other posters) :D

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.cinematical.com/media/2008/04/downeyjrtropic.jpg

raddimus
04-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Man I can't wait for this movie. this movie looks hilarious even the black guy makes fun of robert downey jr.lol too funny.

Bumblebee1983
04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Link (http://www.cinematical.com/photos/tropic-thunder/743471/)(for the other posters) :D

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.cinematical.com/media/2008/04/downeyjrtropic.jpg

GREAT poster! :D

raddimus
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
The real funny part is robert actually looks like a black guy,the last person I would think of as playing a black man,lol.:D

StefsChemicalRomance
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Its amazing how differant he looks when he's black!

raddimus
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
yhea he kinda looks like the dude that used to be on saturday night live.

uraydo
04-12-2008, 12:46 AM
yhea he kinda looks like the dude that used to be on saturday night live.
CHRIS FARLY ?:eek:?

raddimus
04-12-2008, 12:54 AM
No goof ball lol...I was talking bout the guy who played the ladies man,And was the captain with adam sandler when they were stuck on the island.

r-type
05-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Redband Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/tropicthunder/)

*as a heads up: it's only in HD for those that have iTunes right now. Until there is another link to it elsewhere.

*edit* LMAO!

r-type
05-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Last Bump. (no need to enter info this time)

Redband Trailer (http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=798&item=2)